I was challenged this week by something I read on Beth Moore's blog (Living Proof Ministries Blog):
Deuteronomy 4:9 out of the New International Version.
“Be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.”
Keep telling your stories, Sweet Siestas. Don’t decide it wasn’t that big a deal after all…or that maybe you made it up, or that maybe it was just a coincidence. It was GOD. Revelation 12:11 says we overcome the enemy by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of our testimonies! Let’s open our mouths wide and tell it.
She was reminding us just how important it is to recognize God's work in our lives and talk about it. Sometimes I worry that talking about it makes it seem like I'm bragging about what God is doing and I don't want to be prideful, but I also want to obey God's Word and in order to teach my children I have to remember and in order for this old brain to remember I need to write it down...so here goes.
I can't recall if I've told this story, but I feel like telling it again. When Jason and I had been married just over a year we started talking about kids.. we were a little older when we got married and I was a lot older to be just now thinking about kids. I read an amazing book about the female body and it basically said if you follow these principles you should get pregnant within 3 months. Well more than 3 went by and nothing..not even a false hope. When I went in for a routine dr. visit she suggested a few tests. The results came back and the phone call I received said we should start thinking about options because it didn't look promising for us getting pregnant without intervention. We decided since we were building our house to put it on the back burner. There were tears of frustration and sadness especially as others around me got pregnant with ease and some who didn't even want to be. God worked through that time in a way that I can hardly explain to teach me (yet again... remember I waited a LONG time for Him to bring me the man He had planned for me to marry) He taught me about waiting on His plan, His timing, and about obedience. Of course everyone knows the day came when we did find out we were pregnant (with only God's help). I will never forget a drive by myself to Wenatchee -- it was early in the pregnancy we hadn't told anyone yet and I was bleeding and worried that I was loosing him. As I drove the song came on by Third Day "You Are So Good To Me" and the lines that spoke to me were:
You poured out all Your blood
You died upon the cross
You are my Jesus who loves me
As I drove I prayed telling God that I knew that He loved me and that He loved this baby and that as much as it killed me I knew that this baby was His more than he was mine and that I had to trust God's plan, and because of all I'd been through I can honestly say I meant it!! I'd love to say that I would be in the same place spiritually had He chosen to make me prove it, however I am beyond thankful that He didn't. He fulfilled the longing of a mother's heart and placed a baby in my arms. Proverbs 13:19a says "A longing fulfilled is sweet to the soul." And Proverbs 15:13 says "A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit. I know so many who have had extreme heartache and my thoughts, prayers, and heart go out to them in ways that I could never express verbally. I praise God for answering my prayer and I have hope for those who need it because I know His word says He heals the brokenhearted. This is one of the stories of something my eyes have seen and I hope that you are encouraged to write out some of your own.
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment