Thursday, September 25, 2008
Enslaved by Shame
Many out there are just like me and at times are full of shame. Shame that we aren't as pretty as someone else, as skinny, or as "perfect". For some it involves our past...mistakes we made, lies we told, whatever it is we hold onto that causes us to feel "Less Than". My new ladies Bible study is "What Women Want - The Life You Crave and How God Satisfies" (by Lisa T. Bergren & Rebecca Price). In it they quote Liz Higgs saying "Shame is the result of a search for perfection, and perfection is impossible." I was convicted beyond words. I am an admitted perfectionist..not always in ways other people would think, but there are areas of my personality where I don't want to willingly settle for anything less than the closest appearance of perfection. Alan Wright says in his book "Shame Off You" .... "the cycle of shame can only be broken when repentance replaces bitterness. Shame can only be healed when honor replaces dishonor. To let go of shame, you must let go of your sinful reaction to it. Be angry, but do not sin. Hold no judgment. Harbor no resentment. Nourish no bitter root." I never gave my frustration and shame over my physical imperfections enough thought to think of them as sin they were just me being a typical girl and not thinking I had as good of genes as the next girl. They are sin though...the Bible says that I am fearfully and wonderfully made. It says that GOD knit me together in my mother's womb. If we believe that our God is perfect then He is not capable of making a mistake and who do I think I am to tell Him otherwise?? I was struck by the realization that I need to replace my negative self talk with the truth of who God made me to be. Each time I start to think one of those thoughts...I'm too fat, my skin looks awful today, why can't I have straight hair. I recite those scriptures above and say out loud to myself (and my kids if they are listening) "Christ's love makes up the difference". As creations of a loving, amazing, fantastic God we are covered in the blood of Jesus and all the love it represents and WE ARE ENOUGH!!!! Replace the dishonor you are showing your Creator with those words of shame with the honor He deserves in the form of REPENTANCE AND CHANGE. Looking toward the sky accept the Grace He so willingly pours out to us and with joy begin the new habit of reminding yourself daily or hourly that between me and perfection -- "Christ's love makes up the difference".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment